Friday, February 29, 2008

An interesting Paradox

I have noticed something a lot lately and I thought I would blog about it today. Yes, 'to blog' is a verb (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blog). So here I am sitting in class the other day working with a group on a project when one of the members of the group receives a phone call from her husband. She steps out and I overheard her say: "I'm in class, you know that. . . No, I'm in class. Yeah, yeah, call me later. Yeah, I already told you - I'm in class. Yeah, love you too." Then she came back in and said: "I'm so sorry about that, what did I miss?"
I almost started laughing - what a change. On the phone with her husband she had been short, quick, almost rude, but to us she was nothing but sweet and pleasant. I knew she didn't love me and yet I sure liked how she talked to me a lot more than the way I heard her talk to her husband.
Interesting, huh? Isn't it always that way? We treat those who are closest to us way worse than others. We are the nicest to those we don't really know. Shouldn't it be the other way around? I mean, in a way it makes sense; you are most comfortable with those closest to you and so you act more 'naturally' - you aren't as worried about what you say or do because we know they will love us in the end no matter what.
But, wouldn't it be cool if we acted the same to everyone no matter what? I am in no way saying that I am good at this - I know that I am probably my worst self around my family - but, wouldn't it be refreshingly nice to meet someone and know that it didn't matter who you are - they're going to be the same.

2 comments:

Logg said...

I'm 100% myself at all times. You get an unfiltered Logan experience every second you're with me.

Unknown said...

Scotty, I agree. With both your blog, and how perfectly wonderful Greg is because he defy's the rest of us in all area's of being human. :)

Portfolio

Check out my Website!

Followers

Blog Archive