Monday, March 3, 2008

Viktor Frankl

I had a thought as I was walking across campus and just pondering. What is it that defines success in someones life? Some would define it monetarily, others by acclaims, prestige, or awards. Others would say it's found in relationships with other, families, gospel living, or someone's personal conversion level. However you would define it I think how you achieve it is interesting. I had a good friend send me the following quote by Viktor Frankl (if you don't know who he is click here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viktor_Frankl) about success.

I think it is interesting that he says success is to be found by not looking for it. I think to a large extent this is true - People who genuinely love what they do and get lost in it generally find success. And most of the time it seems that the success they find is appropriate to their own goals. A teacher who loves teaching finds success in affecting the lives of his/her pupils as they get lost in the subject and field they are passionate about. They don't find success as a businessman may define it (monetarily) but they find it as they would define it. I think however you define success, the key to achieving it is to do what you love and what is important to you and success will find you.

"Again and again I therefore admonish my students in Europe and America: Don't aim at success -- the more you aim at it and make it a target, the more you are going to miss it. For success, like happiness, cannot be pursued; it must ensue, and it only does so as the unintended side effect of one's personal dedication to a cause greater than oneself or as the by-product of one's surrender to a person other than oneself. Happiness must happen, and the same holds for success: you have to let it happen by not caring about it. I want you to listen to what your conscience commands you to do and go on to carry it out to the best of your knowledge. Then you will live to see that in the long-run -- in the long-run, I say! -- success will follow you precisely because you had forgotten to think about it."

~ Viktor Frankl
---Man's Search for Meaning

P.S. Check out this website - the most beautiful pictures I've seen in a while:

http://thefairest.info/top.html

2 comments:

Jillian said...

I remember once being asked in an interview how would I know if I made a difference in the life of another. I said I wouldn't. That's usually not something we're privvy to knowing. But when you do, deep down you feel it. Same with success. When it is there, you will know.

Oh, and P.S. I cannot tell you how happy it made me to see that slideshow you posted of Les Mis. And not from just anywhere, I recognized the stage from Queen's in London. (I didn't realize I miss it so much!) I went there last Spring to see it there. Absolutely amazing. It's worth the trip if you were just to see that.

Rach, Mike, Allie and Hadley said...

That book is one of books that I can read for $50 at work! It is definitely an interseting book and thought provoking. It reminds me of the quote that I have at the bottom of my signature on my work email, “Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.” and to me, happiness is success.
-Mahatma Gandhi

Portfolio

Check out my Website!

Followers

Blog Archive