Monday, October 15, 2007

San Diego

Well we didn't have class on Thursday but I was in CA anyway . . . :) I thought I would write anyway because I did learn some good lessons in the past few days. I was at work at the MTC tutoring when my supervisor came in to observe me. He sat there quietly for awhile and afterward I asked him for some feedback - He gave some positive feedback and then he dropped the hammer. He said: "This is great, but why only here?" He then went on to explain how as he observed me teach he kept asking himself why I kept referring only to things they would do in the tutoring room and not ever mentioning things the missionaries do in gym, or at the dorms, or in class, or during their personal study, etc. It hit me pretty hard - as most good feedback does - and I realized that he was totally right. I need to help the missionaries make the connect better - what they learn in one place will help them everywhere else, and vice versa. I realized that this is the same in the classroom - it's all good and fun if we teach some students something, but we have to help them see how it can apply to their English class, and their home life , etc.
So this is my new focus for the next little while - helping those I teach see how everything they are learning is extremely inter-connected and inter-dependent. I found this funny as I was reflecting on it since the first time I taught STL 3 I tried to make the point of making connections using chocolate chip cookies - a lesson I apparently didn't learn well enough myself . . .:)

No comments:

Portfolio

Check out my Website!

Followers

Blog Archive