Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Swords

Words of Mormon 1:13 – “King Benjamin . . . did fight with the strength of his own arm, with the sword of Laban.”
Isn’t it interesting that even though this was 215 years after Nephi and his family left Jerusalem that King Benjamin was still using the sword of Laban. Many prophets were reported to have used this sword in battle (2Ne 5:14, Jacob 1:10, W of M 1:13, Mosiah 1:16) and this sword has almost taken on a mystical, supernatural feel/aura about it. As I was thinking about this I began to wonder: are there any “swords” in my life that have been passed down through generations, things that me and my family look to as a protection, strength, or a saving power? What kind of metal could that have been that they were still using 215 years later and then even 2430 years later (D&C 17) when Joseph Smith sees it? What does it represent? In my life? I see the sword of Laban as a symbol of the power that comes with obedience – Nephi got this sword because he was being obedient to the commands of the Lord; those who wielded it were the righteous. Joseph Smith was only able to see it/handle it after he had exhibited his obedience. I think one application in my life, one thing that I see as a ‘sword of Laban’ is my journal. I have been recording experiences I have had, blessings I’ve received, and spiritual opportunities the Lord has given me. These have come in consequence of obedience, and these are things that I plan on passing on to my children. I like what president Eyring said in the past conference about these sort of things: as we read them we will see more and more the power of the Lord in our life, our faith will increase (leading to an increase in spiritual ‘power’) and we will be more grateful. Interesting.

No comments:

Portfolio

Check out my Website!

Followers

Blog Archive